You are here
Discover the Benefits of Solitude
There’s a difference between loneliness and solitude. Solitude is a choice that provides freedom and space from the demands and interruptions created by others. Spending time alone is good for you. It doesn’t imply that you’re antisocial, depressed, or mentally ill. There are numerous benefits to spending time alone on a regular basis.
Social media has made it more challenging to spend time alone. Even when we’re alone, we feel the need to check in with the rest of the world.
One thing is for certain. If you want to spend more time by yourself, only you can make it happen. Take some time each day and enjoy a period of solitude.
Reap the benefits of spending time with yourself:
- Being alone provides the space needed to think deeply. After a busy day, it’s necessary to take a break to give your brain a chance to delve deeper into your thoughts. Getting things done is important, but spending time in thought is important, too. You also have the chance to be more creative while alone.
- You learn to be more self-reliant. When you’re alone, there’s no one else to help. You have to solve challenges yourself and entertain yourself. You also have to make decisions by yourself. This can be difficult if you’re used to relying on others, but it becomes easier with practice.
- For those that are introverted, some alone time is necessary for happiness. Introverts recharge their energy by spending time alone. Solitude is a true pleasure for an introvert.
- Being alone is a great time to rest. Your mind and body have a better opportunity to rest when you’re away from other people. You can be yourself 100%, clear your mind, and regain your focus.
- Alone time can be a significant part of mental health. Some studies have shown that teens and adults that have a moderate amount of alone time enjoy better mental health than those that spend significantly more or less time alone.
- When you’re alone, you’re in control. You can spend your time exactly the way you choose. The TV remote is under your complete control. You can eat what you want, go shopping where you desire, or watch the movie of your choosing. There are no compromises when you’re alone.
- You can get more done. People are another form of distraction. You’ll face fewer requests and interruptions during your alone time.
- You learn more about yourself. By spending time alone, you have more opportunity to examine your thoughts. You can give more consideration to what you want and need in your life. You can be a better employee, friend, and family member when you understand yourself better.
- Solitude provides clarity. Life and other people can taint your view of the world. You’re freer from the influence of others when you’re by yourself. Modern life tends to drive an external perspective. Being alone provides the chance to re-center yourself, go inward, and view life from a more personal perspective.
Regularly spending time alone is good for your mind, soul, and body. Studies have shown that spending a moderate amount of time alone is good for you. If you’re not spending any time by yourself, find ways to capture a few minutes for yourself each day. Consider waking up early, eating lunch alone, or going for a walk by yourself.
You schedule other activities. Schedule time each day to spend by yourself. You’ll feel better and be more productive.