You are here
Top 10 Steps to Career Success
Have you ever wondered why some people get promoted, receive raises, and are more respected at work? It’s not a secret. Successful people do a few things differently than others and do them consistently. You can enjoy the same level of success by adopting the same behaviors. You must find ways to stand out and project professionalism.
If the people that matter believe you can contribute more, you’ll be provided with plenty of opportunities!
Reach a new level of success at work:
- Be on time. Be on time for everything, not just the beginning of the work day. Be on time for meetings. Avoid leaving work early. Complete your work on time. When you’re late, you’re viewed as unreliable, untrustworthy, and unprofessional.
- Dress like your boss. Most employees dress at the same level as their peers. Take it up a notch and dress like your boss. You’ll be viewed as more serious and professional.
- Your daily attire can have a significant impact on your ability to secure promotions.
- Build the skills you need for the next level. What do you need to know to be successful at the next level? Prepare yourself for a promotion by acquiring the necessary skills and knowledge.
- Solve challenges. In a work environment, people are as valuable as the problems they solve. Be someone that finds and creates solutions. The best problem solver is a valuable employee.
- Figure out a current challenge for your company and seek a solution.
- Ask for feedback. By asking for feedback you accomplish several things. You can gauge the opinion of your boss and other relevant people. You can enhance your performance at work. Finally, you show that you care about your performance and your career.
- Know the people that matter. Who is most respected at your workplace? Who has the big boss’s ear? Who make things happen? Get to know these people. They can do a lot to help your career.
- The right mentor or advocate can do more for you than you might be able to do for yourself. Get every important ally you can.
- Look for opportunities to go above and beyond. It’s pretty easy to show up and do just enough to keep from getting fired. That’s what everyone else is doing. Rise above that mentality. How can you stand out? Volunteer for unique opportunities.
- Better yet, offer a few suggestions of your own.
- Act professionally. Be on time. Avoid gossiping. Avoid cursing. Be reliable. Do good work. Answer emails in a timely fashion.
- Update your resume monthly. Record your accomplishments on your resume while they’re still fresh in your mind. Keep your resume posted online at sites like LinkedIn where headhunters can find it. You never know what opportunities might come your way.
- Participate in meetings. Avoid using the time as an opportunity to daydream and relax. Find a way to be noticed without being annoying. Provide useful comments and ask questions.
Enhance your image at work by doing the small things that matter the most. You can stand out in a positive way by adopting a few, simple behaviors. Consider the impression you’re currently making at work and begin to enhance it. Soon, the right people will take notice.